Who Are We?
Common Farms began in 2017 when our founder had the vision to transform the local food system in Hong Kong. We grow quality specialty produce such as microgreens, herbs, and edible flowers to provide both professional and home chefs with delicious, nutritious, and low-carbon footprint produce.
For more: About Us
- 2017. Common Farms was founded by Jessica Naomi Fong and a 300 sq. ft. experimentation farm was built on Cheung Chau Island.
- 2019. Commercial production facility built.
- Products: Common Farms grows a wide variety of fresh microgreens, specialty herbs, edible flowers and baby greens. Contact us for our full catalog.
- Customers include: 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Amber, Arbor, Caprice, Four Seasons Hotel, Giando, Halfway Coffee, Little Cove Espresso, Ma Restaurant, Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Mira Hotel, Mono, Roganic, Rosewood, Vea, Whey.
Why Grow Indoors?
Simply put: It saves resources, boosts yield, and there’s all-year harvest.
- Optimal climate control
- No pesticides. No herbicides. No fungicides.
- Over 10x yield per sq. ft. compared to traditional farming
- 95% less water used
- Grown with natural, organic soil and fertiliser
- High-efficiency LED lighting
- Super clean produce packaged with strict hygiene standards
- LED lights: specifically designed for horticulture, high efficiency
- Controlled Environment Agriculture: a method of growing indoors where temperature, humidity and other factors are controlled precisely in order to provide the optimum environment for plants to thrive
- Vertical Farming: stacking multiple growing layers for efficient use of space indoors. Our farm can grow over 10x the amount of produce on an equivalently sized outdoor farm.
Have more questions? See our FAQ.
In The Media
Article: South China Morning Post (2022)
Jessica chats with SCMP Food and Wine editor Charmaine Mok to share the story behind Common Farms and to comment on the future holds for the farm after her feature in the “50 Next Change-Makers” list.